Thursday, May 16, 2013

Looks Like a Seal, Smells Like a Sheep!


Not too long ago, a friend of mine convinced me to take up felting with her. She had been seduced by internet pictures of cute animal projects and wanted a partner in her madness. Being the wonderful friend I am, of course I obliged. And the pictures were cute after all.  

Felting can be a dangerous hobby if you’re not paying attention (I stabbed myself twice) as anything involving pointy instruments can be. It basically involves taking tuffs of unworked wool and stabbing it repeated with a felting needle to shape it into whatever you want. It feels a bit like voodoo near the end when you’re jabbing a nearly completed animal.  The results can be amazing though, ranging from cute to stunningly realistic.



His name is Philly. Isn’t he cute? He was my first born in my forays into felting animals. He probably would have benefited from a couple more millimeters in length but I think he’s adorable as the short, stubby bundle he is. He looks a little lonely though… I think he needs a friend.

Dimensions: 7.3 x 3.0 x 2.3 cm
Materials: Norwegian C1 natural white wool, Norwegian C1 black wool, black beads
Tools:  40T yellow felting needle from Felt Alive
Time to Make: 2.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment